Login    Forum    Members    FAQ

Board index » Nubstars » The General Rules of Thumb

Post subject: Concerning My Bitching About DPS
 Post Posted: Mar 02, '09 4:26 am 
Living Legend

Dear beloved guild members who are probably sick of me being an asshole,

This is essentially what I hold myself and everyone else in a raid accountable to in terms of DPS output on fights like Patchwerk and Thaddius (I essentially half your DPS in 25man, barring deaths).

http://code.google.com/p/simulationcraf ... mpleOutput

I'm rather certain this assumes a 3:34 fight duration (aka, a decent Patchwerk kill) for a 3.0.9 patch situation.

This simulation output is one of many similar outputs that portrays (for the most part) the maximum feasible DPS from a given class and spec using the optimum gear available as well as the most possible raid buffs. Every class/spec combination in that sample output is assumed to have every best-in-slot piece and use its optimal rotation on a completely stationary fight with zero interruption, movement, or change in circumstance. It's an entire raid DPS'ing down a target dummy.

That being said, please take a close look at what your class/spec is capable of in that sort of situation. A very close look.

Are you pulling near that DPS on Patchwerk and I'm still whining at you? Then reference this and tell me to shut the fuck up. I might tell you that your spec sucks, but if that spec provides a necessary debuff for another class to do their maximum possible DPS...Tell me to shut the fuck up.

Are you pulling less than that DPS but noticeably lack sufficient gear to draw close to that range? Please, by all means, point out which pieces you lack and then to shut the fuck up. I will specifically admit that, recently, a fellow officer pointed out that one particular raid member's DPS was on the very low end because of a large gear discrepancy. I don't always notice / know about these things, so don't let me bash on you for no reason at all. Just try to do it in private as I'm far more likely to not blow you off if you /w Sandals with "Dude, I'm really not that well-geared. I'm doing all I can." That's something that I'll probably actually feel bad about and you can take pride in knowing you made me feel like a fucktard.

Are you pulling way less than that while decked out in numerous best-in-slots (or very good gear, at any rate) on Patchwerk? Then I'm definitely going to tell you to kick it into gear.

Somewhere between the end points I've listed above, everyone in any given Nubstars raid ends up, myself included. I have excellent gear, though not best in slot, and I feel that I perform within reasonable margins of my maximum output. I could be wrong, but all the numbers I've run say I'm not.
(The above is the mandatory self-affirmation portion of this post)

If you're nearer to the underperforming-with-gear section, please, please, please find a way to improve. I hope to say that in the nicest and most appealing way possible because excellent DPS is the only way we're going to blow Ulduar (and our notable rivals) out of the water. If you perform well on the WWS that Buchner and I take, I thank you personally. Right here, right now, you have my appreciation for putting up the time and effort to do well in raids that are essentially a joke. It's boring as fucking shit in there and sometimes DPS'ing your hardest really just doesn't seem worth it. I can assure you that the practice will benefit you here in a few weeks.

The other reason I made this post is to, hopefully, help everyone out. I know mages exceptionally well, I think, and I think Ianitis and Buchner can tack on to that, as well. I also know a decent bit about other caster DPS classes, at least enough to find the proper answers when posed with a question. SO ASK SHIT. If I don't know the answer, it will bug me endlessly and I'll go find the answer. Probably that day. Test what I know, test what you know, and test what's possible when you learn everything you can about what you're doing.

Melee/Hunters, I can't say I know your classes well enough to field in-depth questions, but I do know that there are people in-guild who can. Ask them and I'm sure they'd be willing to field questions about it.

If your DPS is low, for whatever reason, ask them what you can do to increase it. Are there heroics/badge items that would help? Are there 10-man items that would help? If it's a 25-man loot issue, which I can guarantee it will eventually be, are you sure of exactly which items you need? I feel that the coming weeks are a time in which we, as a guild, need to buckle down and get ready to dig in. Ulduar's not going to be the cake-walk that Naxx was and the more prepared we are the easier this shit is going to go down. Spend a little time working now and we'll spend a lot less time wiping later.

Love,

Sandals

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: Concerning My Bitching About DPS
 Post Posted: Mar 02, '09 9:31 am 
Set 5-O

didn't get to read it all cuz I had like 3 mins to read it so I'm not sure if Sandals covered this but do consider your talents people. Make sure you are specced for PvE and not for f*cking PvP when you show up for raids. I recently discovered how moving around NOT EVEN 5 talent points increased my dps by 7-800... which blew my mind when I saw myself doing 3k+ dps over the usual 2100-2300 I normally do. So if you are unsure about your spec for raids do take it into consideration and review your talents to make sure they are optimally specced for raiding

Post subject: Re: Concerning My Bitching About DPS
 Post Posted: Mar 02, '09 3:27 pm 

Sandals is a gnome, therefore all of his opinions are moot... everyone knows gnomes don't have rights.

Get back in your cage.

Board index » Nubstars » The General Rules of Thumb